Dining in Toronto

Dining in Toronto
I, Mili Jain, am not a critic, foodie, restaurant owner, aspiring chef, promoter or dining connoisseur. I am simply a girl who knows what she likes and what she doesn't, especially when it comes to the social side of life!

I challenged myself (and some unsuspecting friends) to discover our city! To eat at those restaurants we drive by 100 times and never go into. To venture to areas we’ve never discovered and just step out of our own comfort zone. For whatever reason you find yourself here, whether I forced you to follow me or you stumbled upon this page, I hope you will find something that will help create your own adventure and inspire you to try something new.

I challenged myself to try everything ONCE, and to make THE CITY MINE!

And so a non-blogger continues to blog...

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Don’t Knock the Local Talent

I get it. Downtown Toronto is “where it’s at”. The nightlife, the culture, the events – they’re all downtown and I have no problem venturing down there. BUT that doesn’t mean that suburbia doesn’t have its own plethora of places and events to discover. One of which I randomly stumbled upon (literally) on Sunday night. After a messy night consuming rounds of shots in the double digits at a wedding (classy girl) I was no doubt craving something that would make the spinning stop. The weather decided to stop being depressing so it only made sense to take advantage and get a dose of Vitamin D. Off I went with my partner in crime to Milton and ended up at a little pizzeria called Portabellos. Very cute and quaint place with an outdoor patio and conveniently connected with other little shops, dessert places and cafes.

On the Menu:
House Salad – Mixed greens with a Balsamic Vinaigrette
BBQ Chicken Pizza (10”) – Mozzarella, chicken, tomatoes, onions, cheddar topped with BBQ sauce
The Big “O” Cookie Dough – half baked gourmet, cookie dough in a 6” pan topped with three scoops of vanilla ice cream. We opted for half chocolate chip/white macademia

House Salad pretty average – nothing out of the ordinary and the white onions were WAY too strong. Not helping the hangover. When the BBQ Chicken Pizza came to our table it almost looked TOO good to eat! It was a piece of art the way they drizzled the BBQ sauce on top and how all the ingredients were held together with the double dose of ooey gooey cheese. The actual pizza itself was not so bad either. Not a doughy crust but not wafer thin either – just a solid balance between the two. Now for dessert. I get now why they call it the Big “O” – and that’s about all the details I’ll divulge on that subject, the dessert however was by far one of the most satisfying and delectable desserts I’ve had in a while. A warm half baked cookie dough base warm enough to melt the three oversize scoops of ice cream to create the perfect blend of sweet heaven. You have the option of chocolate chip or white macademia nut - of course we we want halfsies. I suggest you share this one because it’s pretty rich and there’s no need for guilt after that kind of indulgence. Ladies and gentleman I’ve found my dessert!

On the Menu NEXT TIME:
The Big “O” Cookie Dough – that’s all THIS girl needs!

Address: 1580 Derry Road East #103
Parking: Located in a plaza so plenty of parking
Dress: Casual
Price: Cheap
Overall Rating: 3 1/2 stars

1 comment:

  1. Partner in crime would be MEEE:)
    That dessert was INCREDIBLE!!!

    ReplyDelete