Dining in Toronto

Dining in Toronto
I, Mili Jain, am not a critic, foodie, restaurant owner, aspiring chef, promoter or dining connoisseur. I am simply a girl who knows what she likes and what she doesn't, especially when it comes to the social side of life!

I challenged myself (and some unsuspecting friends) to discover our city! To eat at those restaurants we drive by 100 times and never go into. To venture to areas we’ve never discovered and just step out of our own comfort zone. For whatever reason you find yourself here, whether I forced you to follow me or you stumbled upon this page, I hope you will find something that will help create your own adventure and inspire you to try something new.

I challenged myself to try everything ONCE, and to make THE CITY MINE!

And so a non-blogger continues to blog...

Monday, June 21, 2010

My Perfect Man...as a Restaurant

Walking around college and trying to pick a restaurant is like being a kid in a candy shop. OR to relate more to myself - being a girl in her 20s in a boutique with SO MANY clothes to choose from! On this beautiful Thursday I found myself walking around College street and decided to try out Kalendar, the famous Kalendar that I’d heard so much about, known about for so long and still hadn’t tried out. After about a 20 minute wait, and a very attentive dining partner, we scored a prime seat on their packed patio which is perfect for dining and people watching on a balmy summer night.

Much to my surprise, and delight (shocking I know), there was a slight Indian touch to their meals. There was a prominent use of naan in many of their appetizers and their pizza crust is made up of a “thin dahl-puri crust”. Interesting. Their appetizers consisted mainly of hummus dips, breads (naans) and traditional Italian fare such as bruschetta and mussels. They also had what seemed to be one of their signature options called Nannettes - appetizer size oven baked naan bread with various fillings). The mains were also a combination of standard Italian pastas and pizzas as well as another signature item called Scrolls – Kalendar’s crepe style roti with various fillings served with a dinner salad.

On the menu for the evening:
Warm Mushroom Salad – a mix of wild mushrooms with sun dried tomatoes and apple sautéed in Cassis, served in a radicchio cup on a bed of belgum endive
Scroll Five – oven roasted chicken, avocado, plum tomatoes, feta & herbed mayonnaise with a side salad

Food was great and the portions were HUGE. The scroll five with the side salad was shared amongst 2 people and it was MORE than enough. Being that it was a first time visit here I think played it safe with my Scroll option. So next time I think I may have to walk on the wilder side. I’m thinking Scroll Four – tomato meat sauce with spicy Italian sausage, parmesan, sundried tomatoes, carrots, mushrooms, onions and mixed peppers. YUM.

Ambience and service were both fantastic – the place is perfect for a dinner out with the girls, but the cozy atmosphere, candle lit tables and greenery covered patio roof makes it an intimate spot for a romantic rendez-vous. Our waitress was friendly and beyond accommodating.

Overall this place could be compared to as my perfect man – Italian by nature with a little Indian flare, cozy and comforting yet romantic at the right times, delicious yet satisfying and keeps you coming back for more!

For next time and the time after that…
Coffee – I know this sounds weird but apparently the beans have been infused with cinnamon for an amazing flavor
Warm apple/walnut salad – chopped apples and walnuts sautéed in a sweet brandy sauce over chevre cheese on a bed of greens
Nannette One – pesto, plum tomatoes, garlic and fresh basil
Scroll Four – tomato meat sauce with spicy Italian sausage, parmesan, sundried tomatoes, carrots, mushrooms, onions and mixed peppers
Scroll Six – roast beef, portabella mushrooms, caramelized onion, asiago cheese & plum tomatoes with a horseradish mayonnaise
Scroll Seven – mara curry, a 7 vegetable spiced red curry with chickpeas, potatoes, peppers, broccoli, tomatoes, mushrooms and onions

I also keep hearing about their brunch – BK you in??

Address: 546 College Street
416.923.4138
Parking: plenty of street parking
Price: $$ - Affordable
Ratings:
Ambience – 9/10
Service – 9/10
Food – 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment